What is discipleship?
The essence of discipleship is teaching and training believers to think, act, talk, and look like Jesus. (Matt.10:24, 40-42; Luke 14:25-35; 9:23-26, 57-62)
Discipleship is that development process of the local church that progressively guides Christians from spiritual infancy to spiritual maturity so that they are then able to make disciples of others. (Matt.28:18-20; 2 Tim.2:2)
Discipleship isn't a program or an event; it’s a way of life. It is not for a limited time, but for our whole lives. Discipleship is God’s primary way of transforming people by His Spirit through the Gospel of Christ from the inside out. It describes the process following Jesus.
The plan to accomplish the goal starts at the front door of membership. In our Membership Class, we will explain the expectation and opportunities of discipleship to every new member.
How do we disciple others?
6 Truths About Authentic Discipleship
1. Jesus commanded us to make disciples, not be disciples. The way many Christians
talk, you’d think Jesus told us to be disciples. He commanded us to make disciples.
2. Discipleship is simply linked to evangelism. You can’t be a disciple without being an
evangelist. And for sure, the opposite is true. You can’t be an evangelist without being a
disciple. But somehow many people would rather be disciples without being evangelists.
3. A mark of an authentic disciple includes getting it wrong sometimes. After all, Peter
didn’t get it right most of the time when he was around Jesus.
4. A morally messy church is…inevitable. The fact that you have these problems may
actually be a sign that you’re making progress with the unchurched. You don’t want to
leave them there, but when people really start engaging with Christ, tidy categories are
hard to come by.
5. Maturity takes time and is not linear. It would be great if there was instant maturity in
faith and in life. But it never works that way.
mark of His followers is love (John 13:34-35).